In the fall of 1996, a new initiative called HeadsUp (Heads Engaged in Advancing Departmental Strategies through Unifying Paradigms) began to take form. The operational framework agreed upon then still guides the organization activities more than a decade later (see HeadsUp Steering Committee Operational Guidelines).
The purpose of HeadsUp is to provide a forum for established and new Heads of Academic Units to do the following:
- Share wisdom, experience, and ideas with the aim to solve problems
- Strengthen leadership
- Provide a vital voice to the administration
- Promote effective communication
- Build a sense of community at The University of Arizona
The Steering Committee oversees the HeadsNETWORK, which is comprised of four program areas:
- HeadsUP: The purpose of HeadsUP is to represent and advocate for Heads at the University.
- HeadsUP members include Heads; Affiliate members include Heads’ support staff, administrators with interest in the work of Heads, and persons interested in developing an administrative career.
- HeadsMENTORING: The purpose of HeadsMENTORING is to create a culture of career support between Heads at different career stages.
- NewHEADS: The purpose of NewHEADS is to nurture and train Heads in the first of their headship.
- HeadsED: (forthcoming)